Nancy Meyers movies are a true pleasure of mine. Not only do I love her movie scripts, but she designs the most scrumptious movie interior sets. Growing up I’ve always had a handful of movies I adored, Father of the Bride and Parent Trap come to mind, the list goes on. Never did I realize these movies all have a common thread…Nancy Meyers. She understands the female viewer and how we truly feast on gorgeous visual interiors.
I think we can all use her movies as our own personal inspiration in some way for our homes. So let’s think about this, why are Nancy Meyers movies so visually satisfying? The spaces are all different but have many things in common:
- They’re light and bright, with plenty of windows. Never underestimate the appeal of natural light. Maybe you don’t have big huge windows, that’s ok, open up the windows you have, install sun tubes, or rip off the blinds if you need to, bring natural light indoors.
- She understands how and when to use color. Neutral rooms are great and are the backbone of her interiors, but she knows the importance of bringing in color when needed. Knowing how to combine the two for the best visual is a true art – but anyone can learn! Just look for inspiration and play around with different looks.
- Many textures are used. Textures are so important in home design. Not only are different textures very soothing to humans they bring visual interest to a room that may otherwise fall flat.
- She mixes designs elements. I love her mix of style from a vintage coffee table to clear acrylic chairs. Old and new, modern and vintage. Take a page from Nancy’s book – it all works, and it’s necessary for visual interest.
- It’s the little details, everything is perfectly styled from the kitchen counter to the coffee table. Having the worlds most gorgeous furniture won’t get you very far if you don’t style it properly. Details count, this may seem daunting but it’s not. Be on the lookout always for small home accessories that add pizazz to your furniture and displays.
I remember telling Brian how excited I was that a new Nancy Meyers movie was coming out. Well, I finally got to watch this one last month and the interiors were gorgeous as expected. All throughout the movie I kept asking “What’s happening?” “Who is that?” “What did she do?” because this is what happens when I watch a movie with a gorgeous set, I can’t pay attention to the script. In fact the next morning, I asked so how did that movie end again? I honestly couldn’t remember but I could tell you the layout of the kitchen, how all the furniture was styled, and every diptyque candle I saw.
I don’t know about you but I’d love to live in a perfect brownstone in NYC. From the high ceilings and the moulding to the modern chic decor it’s a winner. This is a perfect example of how to mix different design elements into your home and how it can work. The kitchen with the open shelving and subway tile is a true visual treat. Oh, and lets not forget about the gorgeous office!
My absolute favorite Nancy Meyers movie. I watch this one often, the story line is just so cute, I love all the actors and the interior is just so gorgeous. Everything about the exterior of the house is perfection from the charming vine, to the curved walkway and tree swing. The interior just gets better, I think this taps into my fantasy of remodeling, the main character Jane is remodeling her kitchen & master bedroom with a helpful architect. Not only is the house gorgeous, so are the gardens and the bakery. Truly drool worthy. Watch it….that is all.
The kitchen. Let’s say it again, the kitchen. Yes, we have an incredibly gorgeous home in the Hamptons but the kitchen from this movie had decorators and interior design lovers talking before the movie even came out. I can’t imagine one person who wouldn’t dream of this gorgeous oversized bright white kitchen. Yes, the rest of the house is decorated gorgeously, but have I mentioned the kitchen?
I love this movie and silly me, like a lot of other movies I love, I never realized it’s a Nancy Meyers movie. This movie is a real treat, not only do I love all the actors in it but we get not 1 but 2 lovely houses to feast our eyes on. The modern California mansion and the charming English cottage. For me this is a total win.
Did you enjoy that visual feast? So hmm….what are you going to be doing this weekend? How about a Nancy Meyers movie! Come back and tell me your favorite movie interiors.
Hurry up Nancy with your next movie, because I can’t wait!